You feta check these recipes out!
We know it’s been awhile since you took a bite out off your favourite grilled cheese sandwich… we could name many at the top of our heads! Oh how we long to sink our teeth in cheese sandwich goodness… whether it be Borough’s, Elephant Grounds’, or Green Pastures’ versions, we can’t wait but until then, let’s experiment to get that perfect grilled cheese right at home.
We’ve rounded up a handful or recipes you can try so you can satisfy your grilled cheese craving. These will help you pass the time, learn something new, and grab a bite too! It’s been a tough few weeks of quarantine but we’ll get through it, one step at a time.
For the perfect grilled cheese, The New York Times says that it’s not just about the ingredients… whether it be artisanal bread or store bought, local cheese or processed, it’s really more in the manner on how you cook it. For example, you’d want the bread to be golden and slightly crusty on the outside but not burn the cheese inside; to do this, cook the slices separately at first before adding the cheese.
Here’s the recipe from The New York Times,
- 2 slices of bread, can be soft sandwich square ones or large “peasant-style” slices just make sure it’s not more than 1/2 inch thick
- 2 oz cheddar cheese, grated (you may use any cheese of your choice as long as it’s the kind that melts nicely), you can add more or reduce, really depends on the size of your bead
- Grab a heavy pan and set the heat on medium-low.
- Prep your bread slices with spreading the butter thinly on one side of each of the slices while the other, spread mayonnaise. Afterwards, put the mayonnaise side of the slices facing down on the pan. Grab your grated cheese and divide evenly on top of the buttered slices. You may adjust the heat so the bread will sizzle gently.
- Once the cheese is halfway melted, grab your spatula and flip one slice over on top of the other and lightly press. Don’t hesitate to keep turning the sandwich and pressing gently until its compact and both sides are crusty with of course, the cheese gloriously melted!
Get ready for a yummy combo of sweet and spicy with this rendition of a grilled cheese sandwich!
Here’s the recipe from Set the Table,
- 2 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp strawberry jam
- 1-2 small or medium sizes roasted green chiles or Siling Haba
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- Start by heating your heavy pan over medium to low heat. For this recipe, the writer recommends a cast iron pan as it heats evenly as well as helps form that perfect crust on the bread.
- While your pan is heating, start peeling and removing the seeds of your chiles, cut off the stems as well.
- Spread 2 tbsp of the butter on one side of each slice.
- For the remaining butter, melt it in the heated pan then place one slice of the bread with the buttered side down then put one slice of cheese on top.
- Place the chiles on top of the cheese slice then put the second cheese slice on top.
- Begin to spread the strawberry jam on the other slice of bread (the side that’s not buttered) then put on top of the sandwich and press down gently.
- Let each side cook for around five minutes, watching carefully if heat needs adjusting.
- Once the bread has that deep golden colour and the cheese is melted nicely, transfer to a cutting board and wait a few minutes before cutting in half.
Looking for a simple recipe? Similar to New York Times’ rendition but with a few tweaks, Bon Appétit’s recipe will satisfy your grilled cheese cravings in no time.
Here’s the recipe from Bon Appétit,
- 2 slices of bread, must be 1/2″ thick either Pullman or any other white bread
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 oz thinly sliced American or Cheddar cheese, this approx. makes 4 slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato Soup, for serving and optional
- Grab your cutting board and place down the bread slices, spread the mayonnaise on one side of each slice.
- Start to heat your skillet over medium heat and slide in half of the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, put one slice of bread with the mayonnaise side down then top with the cheese and season with a bit of pepper. Grab your other slice and place it on top with the mayonnaise side up.
- When it’s around 4 minutes already and the underside is golden brown, flip the sandwich and add the remaining butter to the skillet and gently press down on the sandwich.
- Once both sides are golden brown and cheese melted, serve and enjoy with tomato soup on the side!
While Woody’s Lunch Box at Disney Hollywood Studios is closed, you can still enjoy Toy Story Land’s Grilled Cheese right at your home as Disney just released the recipe!
Here’s the recipe via Deseret News,
For the Cream Cheese Spread
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Double Gloucester or Cheddar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/3 tsp coarse salt
For the Garlic Spread
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
For the Grilled Three-Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices of artisan bread
- 8 cheddar cheese slices
- 8 provolone slices
- Combine all the ingredients for the cream cheese spread and blend until smooth, set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the garlic spread in a small bowl then stir until fully blended, set aside.
- Grab a large cutting board or parchment paper then lay the slices of bread on them.
- Place 2 slices of cheddar on four of the bread slices then 2 slices of the provolone on the remaining slices.
- Press the cheddar side and provolone side together.
- Heat your large skillet over medium heat, wait about five minutes or until hot.
- Brush both sides of the sandwiches with the garlic spread.
- Grill these sandwiches for 2 minutes on each side and make sure the cheese is melted and bread is golden brown… and you’re done!
If you’re feeling adventurous then this recipe is for you! Grilled Nutella with cheese?? Yes please!
Here’s the recipe from Cake ‘N Knife,
- 4 slices of white bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp Nutella
- 4 oz brie, go for double or triple cream and cut into thin, long strips
- 1 Pear, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup figs, sliced into flat strips
- Heat a medium skillet over medium to low heat. While this is going on, spread 1/2 tbsp of butter on each slice of bread on one side. Once the pan is hot, add the bread with the buttered slices facing down.
- Continue to spread 1/2 tbsp of the Nutella on the bread while on the pan then top with brie, distributed evenly between the two slices.
- Place the slices of pear and figs on top then top each with the remaining bread with the unbuttered side facing down.
- Brown the bottom side of the bread and cook until crisp then carefully flip the sandwich, being careful not to let anything fall out; best to use two spatulas to do this. Brown the other side of the bread and until the brie is gooey.
- Serve and enjoy!
This one takes a bit of more effort than the other recipes listed down but oh does it sound too interesting to pass up! You’ll be making your own beer-infused bread and honestly, if you’re looking for things to pass the time then here it is! Pass the time, learn something new, and grab a bite too!
Here’s the recipe from The Beeroness,
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 12 oz beer, best to use either summer ale, wheat beer, saison, or pilsner
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8 wt oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup IPA beer
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 strips bacon, cooked
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, start combining the dry ingredients… the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar then add in the beer and stir until combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray or butter it evenly then pour the batter, making sure to layer it evenly then pour the melted butter over the loaf.
- Bake this for 40 mins or until cooked through
- In a food processor, add the cream cheese, cheddar, IPA beer, Sriracha, cornstarch, and salt then blend until smooth.
- Slice the finished load into 8 slices and butter one side of each slice.
- Grab a non-stick pan and put it over medium heat.
- Do this by batch, place one slice of bread with the buttered side down on the pan and spread about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture then add a slice of bacon and top with another slice of bread with the buttered side up.
- Cook until the bread is browned on both sides, be sure to gently flip, don’t smash it!
- Serve while warm and enjoy!
To be honest, we’re already sold with the name of this grilled cheese recipe… need we say more?
Here’s the recipe from Real Food by Dad,
- 2 slices of bread
- 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1-2 slices extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon
- 5-6 jalapeño slices, pan seared, optional
- 1/2 cup mac and cheese
- this recipe serves 8
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, al dente
For the sandwich
- Spread mayonnaise on both slices of bread and set aside. Begin to heat a small skillet over medium heat and melt half of the butter then once melted, place one slice of bread with the mayonnaise side down on the pan. Layer then with the cheese, bacon, mac and cheese, and jalapeños (if using). Top with the second slice of bread with the mayonnaise side up and cook until the bottom piece is golden brown, this’ll take 4-5 minutes. Lift, add remaining butter, and flip and gently press down. Same as with the other side, cook until golden brown then serve immediately.
For the Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter or apply non-stick spray on a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to a slight simmer (notice the bubbles that will appear at the edge of the pan) then remove from heat.
- In another saucepan also over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour and stir to combine, making sure that you scrape the bottom of the pan to avoid scorching. Cook this until the mixture starts to turn brown, this’ll take around 3 minutes. Gradually add in the milk and stir constantly until this mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the cheese and stir until all melted, salt and pepper to taste then add in the elbow macaroni and stir again to coat.
- Transfer this mixture to the baking dish you prepared awhile ago and bake for 30 minutes, until the top starts to bubble a bit and brown.
This is definitely not your usual grilled cheese at first glance but it still has its classic ingredients. If you want to change up the classic grilled cheese a bit, here’s a rendition that’s surely unique in presentation.
Here’s the recipe from Wisconsin Cheese,
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed (can also use whole wheat or whole grain)
- 8 slices (.75 oz each) Arla medium Cheddar cheese, or any other cheese you have on hand, other suggestions include colby-monterey jack cheese, swiss, muenster
- 4 tbsp butter, cubed and divided
- Flatten the bread slices to about 1/4-inch thick and top with cheddar then roll up tightly.
- Melt the 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium heat then cook the roll-ups in batches for 3-4 minutes turning until all sides are golden brown. You may add the remaining butter as necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
What exactly makes this grilled cheese gourmet you ask? It’s the addition of herbed and caramelised onions, rosemary butter, and a combination of Gruyere and white cheddar, mmm mm mm!
Here’s the recipe from The Chunky Chef,
- 8 slices of artisan bread
- Mayonnaise, for spreading
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly or grated, room temp
- 6 oz White cheddar cheese, sliced thinly or grated, also at room temp
- 4 slices thin Muenster cheese, room temp
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced and divided
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt and papper, to taste
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp butter and olive oil to a skillet over medium to low heat then add diced onions, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and 1 tsp of fresh rosemary once the skillet is hot.
- Stir the brown sugar into the onions and cook for another minute then transfer the onions to a plate to set aside.
- Spread the mayonnaise on one side of each of the two pieces of bread.
- On the same skillet, add remaining butter and rosemary then heat over medium heat still then swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet with melted butter.
- Add both pieces of bread with the mayonnaise side down then add the cheese to the top of both slices.
- Once the cheese is a bit melty, add in the caramelised onions on top of the cheese and cook until the bread is golden brown and crunchy, this’ll take around 2-3 minutes, cook on low heat.
- Sandwich the pieces of bread together and cook until the cheese is fully melted then transfer to a plate. Repeat the process with the remaining slices and ingredients then enjoy!
If you’re looking for something easy and fuss-free, here’s a tried and tested recipe from Tasty. You can also check this video out for even more ideas!
Here’s the recipe from Tasty,
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- On a cutting board, butter each slice of bread on one side only.
- Flip the slices over and now spread the mayonnaise on these sides.
- Place the cheese on the cheese on the buttered side and top this with the second slice of bread with the mayonnaise side out.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium low heat then place the sandwich on the pan with the mayonnaise side down.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich over and cook until that side is golden brown as well.
- Serve and enjoy the gooey cheesiness!
Follow Booky on Twitter (@bookymanila) and Instagram (@bookyapp) to stay on top of foodie news! You can download the app for FREE on iPhone or Android and discover over 1000 of the top restaurants in Metro Manila and just watch as your foodiverse explodes!