Para sa mga walang oven.
We’ve turned to our kitchens for comfort, as many have during this enhanced community quarantine. However, some of us who want to partake in the stress-baking phenomenon aren’t allowed to, because of one technicality: we don’t have ovens.
If you’re one of the ovenless, this is a recipe list made for you. Just like you don’t need wings to fly, you don’t need an oven to make a delicious chocolate cake. Horrible analogy, but you get the gist! Without further ado, here are 6 easy no-oven dessert recipes that you can make right now.
Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie
Don’t have the equipment to make ooey-gooey chocolate chip cookies? When in doubt, get cookies delivered. If you’re reading this at 2 AM with hunger pangs, then you’ve stumbled upon the right recipe.
Recipe from Em’s Kitchen:
- 4 tbsp plain all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
What to do:
1. In a mug, combine until there are no more lumps.
2. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
1-Minute Perfect Chocolate Mug Cake
There’s always a reason to celebrate your birthday—yes, even when you’re alone during the quarantine. All you need is a microwave-safe mug, some cocoa powder, and a little bit of magic to make this moist chocolate mug cake.
Recipe from Spice Bangla:
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20-gram chocolate chunks
What to do:
1. In a microwave-safe mug combine all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Give it a good mix and make sure there are no more lumps.
2. Then add in the milk, vanilla, and oil. Mix all the ingredients until well-incorporated. Mix in your chocolate chunks into the batter.
3. Microwave for 1 minute. Take it out and let it cool.
5. Dust your cake with powdered sugar, drizzle with chocolate syrup or top with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Enjoy!
5-Minute Microwave Cheesecake
Not into chocolate? Indulge in a mini cheesecake that doesn’t take time at all. It doesn’t just taste like the real thing, it is the real thing. Top it off with some fruits or whipped cream and you’ve got yourself the perfect tangy dessert.
Modified recipe from Tasty:
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 graham cracker sheets
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3-4 drops vanilla extract
- chopped fruits, to serve
1. Melt the butter in a small microwaveable mug or dish. Grease your mug or ramekin with the melted butter.
2. Crush the graham crackers into fine crumbs, then mix it with the remaining butter. With a spoon, press the crust flat against the sides of the dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla, stirring until there are no lumps. Transfer the mixture on top of the cracker crust, then spread it evenly on top.
4. Microwave for at least 4 minutes, 30-45 seconds at a time. Make sure the cheesecake does not bubble over the sides.
5. Chill in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, until completely cool.
6. Top it off with fruits or whipped cream, and enjoy!
Full Batch Microwave Brownies
It’s hard to get a hold of bakeshops during the quarantine and when it comes to big families, there’s never enough food to go around. Fortunately, this seriously-delicious recipe is made to share with larger groups and you only need your trusty microwave to bake it!
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup chocolate (preferably 70%), roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flavorless oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
What to do:
1. Grease your microwave-safe pan. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, water, and chocolate. Gently stir until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
3. In the chocolate mixture, add in the oil, eggs, and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Make sure not to overmix! Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Transfer the batter to your greased pan and top with some more chocolate chips.
6. Microwave until the top and sides of the brownies are just set, about 8-9 minutes, checking them at the 6-minute mark.
7. Remove from the microwave and allow it to cool fully in the mold before turning out. Once cooled, turn out onto a flat surface and cut into 9-12 even squares. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Mugs
We miss Cinnabon, too. But this will work for now. It might not taste exactly the same, but what’s great about this recipe is that you can customize the ingredients and toppings to your liking. Ice cream and chocolate syrup? Be our guest.
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the dough:
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 2 teaspoons water
For the icing:
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
1. For the filling: In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
2. For the dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla, sugar, and milk until combined. Add the pancake mix and stir until mostly incorporated.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until mostly smooth.
4. Roll the dough out to an 8 x 6-inch rectangle.
5. Spread the filling over the dough. Starting with a long edge, tightly roll the dough into a log. Cut in half crosswise.
6. Grease 2 mugs with nonstick spray. Place 1 cinnamon roll in each mug with the cut side facing up. Spoon 1 teaspoon of water into each mug. Working 1 at a time, microwave the cinnamon rolls for 1 minute and 45 seconds. Let cool for 1 minute.
7. Make the icing: In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle the icing over the cinnamon rolls before serving. Enjoy!
Microwave Creme Brulee
For a luxurious and delicate dessert like crème brûlée, you wouldn’t expect how microwave-friendly it could be. Make sure to follow our alternative instruction (step #5) if you don’t have a boiler or oven at home!
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- extra sugar, for topping
What to do:
1. Microwave 1 1/2 cups of cream for 3 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk 3 egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla until well-combined.
3. Remove cream from microwave and slowly add in the egg yolks while whisking quickly. This will prevent the eggs from scrambling.
4. Get a microwave-safe dish and fill half of it with hot water. Place your mug in the water and pour the custard mixture inside. Microwave for 6 minutes until jiggly and set.
5. To make the crystalized sugar topping without using a boiler, here’s an alternative: get a small pan, toss in 1 tbsp of sugar per custard mug, add in a squeeze of honey, and a few drops of water. Cook in medium heat and stir until it’s mixed. Put away your spatula and wait for 10 minutes until the mixture looks amber. Check out the video below for a demonstration:
Well, that’s all there is to it! In light of the COVID-19 crisis, we hope these easy microwave-friendly recipes helped. Try them out for yourself and let us know how it went through our Instagram, @bookyapp. Take care always! – The Booky Team